Friday, February 12, 2010

** Flor **

Let's give glory and thanks to God together! Today was the day we have been waiting for...the encounter which could have gone so many ways.

I have been asking God that this girl who touched my heart a week ago would know His love, and that we could come alongside of her, validating her life, and fighting on her behalf. As I wrote in my former blog, my first impressions of her were pretty intense. I felt as though the Lord must hurt because she is such a forgotten and vulnerable soul. To be honest, I have been nervous this week. As I prayed and tried to prepare, I was confronted with my worries of what might or might not happen, and I had to pray, like the man in Mark 9 who said "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" My ultimate comfort has been that I need only to be obedient in my part, the rest is all up to Him. I kept having to pray against the fear of man. It's funny, I have learned that Satan's wiles are totally powerless against the name of Jesus, and I am afraid of what people might think?!

We prayed as a group before leaving, and upon arrival, I checked out the situation with Flor, as I found out was her name. I also found out she is fourteen years old. I peeked into her room, and she was sitting in a chair eating something. There were some young women washing clothes and cleaning the room. I asked them if it would be ok to spend some time up there with Flor a bit later. We began our program with the other children, separating them into two groups according to age. After I helped to lead the little ones in a song and played a game, Gene and I headed up to Flor's room. Armed with the Word and my guitar, we were as ready as we ever could be. She was watching t.v. when I approached her. I put my hand out to her, and she accepted, making eye contact right away. I introduced myself again and asked if I could sing with her. She SMILED! So, immediately I felt so much more comfortable with the situation. I was dealing with an entirely different person from seven days ago. She glowed with joy when I took out the guitar and began singing. The beautiful and unmistakeable spirit of our Lord shone through her. I sang what few Spanish songs I know, and some favorites in English (yes, the goodnight song was the very first!). I wish you could have seen the excitement and contentment in her face. These are the priceless moments, with God's precious children, that make this journey worth every trial. If only for this one lone girl, Jesus would have died. Gene had been praying while I sang. She seemed not to mind that he was there. I prayed for her...in Spanish. Then asked her directly if she knew Jesus, and that He loves her and died for her and that he wants her to be whole and to live forever in heaven with a new mind and body. She kept nodding, and I think she understood what I was saying because I told her it was her turn to pray. I told her to open her mouth and say, "Jesus, I love you" She opened her mouth wide, but made no sound. We continued like this for a bit, and enjoyed each other's company. She kept reaching out to touch my arms and legs...she was so happy. No one will ever know what has gone on in her Spirit this past week or that bit of time we spent together. But, as Romans 8:16 says, "The Spirit himself tesifies with our spirit, that we are God's children."

I was so encouraged and overwhelmed after this meeting. The Lord has obviously been working in her, and is honoring our obedience in prayer and fasting for her. We need not forget her. I believe there is always more. More freedom, more love, more contentment. This is why we continue to seek God and His presence. Please join with me and continue to lift her up to the care of our Father, who loves her completely.

Thank you again for your partnership. You are all precious to Him and to me.

This weekend there is a holiday and I am traveling with a few friends to the mountains. We will return Monday night. On Wednesday, Gene, Jordana and I will be leaving to go to Loja and Cuenca to work on expanding our teams there. Please pray for safety in our travels. The Lord bless you with His sweet presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment