Saturday, February 20, 2010

February 20, 2010

Greetings from Cuenca, Ecuador!

It feels like all I have been doing is traveling – probably because that is partly true! Since the last time I updated you all, I have spent about 30 hours in buses and vans, and have been in Riobamba, Baños, Guayaquil, Loja, Vilcabamba, and Cuenca. To be honest, for about a week, we couldn’t work very much, due to all of the traveling, lack of internet access, holidays and family gatherings. Gene and Jordana had prepared me for this, thought, so that I would not be too disappointed. There was a national holiday last weekend which lasts from Friday through Tuesday. This was a very interesting experience for me as an American. The people all come out to the streets and douse each other with water, powdered dye, foam, flour, water balloons, and eggs! If you are out and about, whether on foot or in a vehicle, you are subject to receive some form of these good-natured assaults.
A few friends and I had a restful time visiting some other cities in the mountains and escaping the extreme heat and humidity of Guayaquil, during this holiday. It never failed, we would be freshly showered and changed, heading out to get some dinner, thinking that things had settled down, and SURPRISE! Someone would sneak up and spray one of us with colored foam! It was amusing to think of what would happen if there were a holiday like this in the US. I think people would get mad and sue each other! Ecuadorians are so easy-going! Gene and Jordana went to the beach with members of her extended family.

During the holiday, one of the friends I was travelling with received news that a missionary family who was home for a visit (they are Ecuadorians, serving in Uzbekistan, in conjuction with OM and C&MA), they were involved in a serious accident, and the husband, wife, and 7 year-old son were killed, leaving a 10 year-old daughter, Alejandra. These events have impacted many as we grapple with the gravity of the situation. Please keep Alejandra and her extended family in your prayers. They are planning to keep her here in Ecuador with her Uncle who has children. Her whole world has been turned upside down, and everything familiar has been taken away. Yet, she has said that she knows her family is with the Lord, and she, too, wants to serve the Lord in missions someday.

On Tuesday night Gene, Jordana, Osito, Nury (Jordana's mom), and our driver, Milton, left around 5 am, Wednesday to visit other members of her family in Loja. It was an interesting visit, as they are devout JW’s, and a mixture of Ecuadorian and English heritage.

I bring my hair-cutting scissors with me everywhere I go, and inevitably, everywhere I go, someone needs a haircut, and word gets around that I am willing and able. I have cut, I think, 13 heads of hair in the three weeks that I have been here, and not just Ecuadorians! A few Americans and a Dutchmen as well, have taken advantage of my services. Apparently, good hair dressers are difficult to find. It is nice to be able to offer some sort of tangible blessing in exchange for the hospitality I have been greeted with.

Yesterday, or Friday, we arrived in Cuenca at last. It feels good to be here because we can finally WORK! In the past, we have had camps here, but have lost some footing in the last few years, because of lack of strong leadership and constant activity. We have several appointments with the people of the local church which has been connected and are working to establish a team that will meet regularly and be self-sustained when we cannot be here. Jordana and I had the privilege of attending a “Last Supper”. The pastor of Capilla Calvaria (Calvary Chapel) and his leaders have decided to do this once or twice a month as an outreach, because it draws people of all kinds of backgrounds and levels of spirituality. We agreed that it is a very effective tool, as the pastor gave a very in-depth explanation of how things would have progressed during Jesus’ day, and a strong evangelistic message. It was very personal and moving as he explained that everything foreshadowed Jesus’ impending death and resurrection. The simple exchange of greetings and food was a symbol of love, honor, forgiveness, and grace. The woman sitting next to Jordana said that this was her first time to pray a prayer of Salvation. Please keep this vibrant church body in your prayers as they seek to impact their city and the areas around them, and as they seek direction and guidance in incorporating Cristo Vive as a larger part of their outreach ministries.

Personally, I have been looking forward to returning to Quito where I can resume some sort of routine and prepare for the American teams to come down, in March, July, and August. As I begin to familiarize myself with the culture, language, and transportation, it is apparent that, although Ecuador is a small country, every city has its own “flavor” and mode of operations…this may prove to be my biggest challenge in moving freely through my tasks. However, I am constantly reminded that my most important job is to stay in close communion with the Lord; so that He can direct my steps and lead me to the people He has chosen for me to encounter. I pray that you all are well and enjoying the peace of God. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment