Friday, February 26, 2010

Ask and you shall receive...


Hola mi gente! (Hello my people!)

HALLELUJAH! I have my missionary visa (good for two years in Ecuador)!!! Thank you all so much for your prayers. Also, as of today, I have been in Ecuador for a whole month, which doesn’t seem possible. Time sure has flown. I am so delighted with the way the Lord has been teaching and molding me. As I reflect on the last few weeks, months, and even years, I am aware that He has been preparing me for “such a time as this.” He has given me everything that I will need for this time of ministry, and I can be confident that I am here as His instrument, His hands, His feet. Ah, what a beautiful privilege! We are all to embrace this calling, no matter where we are or what we do.

As I write this, it is raining in Quito…kind of a drab, chilly day. I am bit ill, probably a combination of allergies, environment, and lack of sleep. With all the traveling to different cities, and the drastic changes in climate (sweltering humidity to cool dampness), the nasty pollution, and having to adjust to sleeping in a bunch of different places, my system has been a bit overwhelmed. Therefore, I am really missing the comforts of home today…the hot bathtub, cozy fireplace, and my dog (not to mention my friends and family)! I appreciate your prayers for my health and safety! (We are still working out the details of my health insurance, so I am depending on Him to keep me healthy).

In spite of this, my spirits are high and I am encouraged as things are picking up and I am becoming more familiar and confident in my role as a leader here. The trip to Cuenca was very valuable as we acquired about 20 people who are interested in helping to grow the ministry there. We met a couple, visiting from Switzerland, (she’s Swiss, he’s Ecuadorian - neat story), who want to help support the team in Cuenca, and possibly create opportunities for future ministry in Switzerland! I enjoyed Cuenca and look forward to my future visits (at least once every month to solidify the team and establish regular meetings). Please pray as we are still seeking a leader to rise up and take responsibility.
During our stay in Cuenca, there was a rare and violent storm, which included torrential rains and hail. There were many car accidents and they have had to create temporary shelter for people whose houses were damaged. Someone from the church we are connected with had a whole side of their house collapse. I am planning to travel there for a meeting on the 13th of March, and if possible, would like to arrive earlier or stay a few days to see if I can be of assistance. Please keep the Cuencanos in your prayers .

The team in Quito is flourishing and I am pleased to report that, before long, they will need only limited assistance to have a steady flow of ministry here. We are connecting with several ministries and churches, some of which are already providing services to children with disabilities, and others that are serving the poor and underprivileged in the community. As we look forward to our teams coming from Kentucky and Wisconsin beginning March 29th, there is much to occupy my attention. I have been busy arranging transportation, living quarters, ministry opportunities, and many other details to make sure that the experience is fulfilling for them, as well as the Ecuadorians they will be ministering to. Please pray for the teams (8 from Murray, Kentucky, and 5 from Wisconsin) as they prepare to come and serve.

After conducting a meeting with the Quito team, I will board a bus with my faithful friend, Mercedes, and travel to Guayaquil. On Sunday, March 7th, we will be conducting a Discipleship Day scheduled for kids who have attended our camps in the past. I believe this is especially valuable, as we guide young people in their relationship with the Lord, studying the Bible, and sharing the Gospel with their family and friends. God loves to use the weak to confound the strong, and there have been many instances where our campers have led members of their family to a relationship with Jesus! Keep this event in your prayers as well, for we know that an activity such as this, when bathed in prayer, cannot fail! Since I will be in Guayaquil for about a week, I hope to get the opportunity to visit Flor (that's her and I in the photo above) at the orphanage.

I thank God that I have a powerful army of prayer warriors standing with me! I am stronger because of each of you. Please take a moment to drop a line, as I look forward to knowing what He is doing in your lives and how I can pray for you! Hugs from Ecuador!

*** "Have faith in God," Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore i tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you ahve received it, and it iwll be yours." Mark 11:22-24 ***

No comments:

Post a Comment