Thursday, May 20, 2010

Volkswagon Beetles and other Bugs...

Sorry everyone…I realize it has been almost two weeks since my last update…I don’t know where time goes, but if I did, I would figure out a way to recycle it.

Our activity with the kids from the orphanage was a success. We divided the kids into two groups, the younger ones, along with the three special kids, and the “youth”. I was paired up with my girl, Flor! They loved the pool, though most of them clung to their “friends” because they couldn’t swim in the deep water. I kept Flor in the kiddie pool, which turned out to be a good idea. She loves the water! It was funny to watch her splash and flail about, hollering at the top of her lungs, but I had to stay right with her because she would submerge her face and nearly drown with excitement! It was so rewarding to see the kids laughing and acting like kids – without a care in the world. We brought them back to the apartment, where they all ate at least three sandwiches, listened to the gospel presented in a kid-friendly manner, and then watched a movie. By the time we started the movie, at least half of them were asleep! Once again, it was difficult to send them back, wishing we could fix their situation. The only thing we can do that will really make a difference is to show them the love of Christ which we have for them and let them know that they are valued. Most of us cannot even come close to knowing what they feel like, having been abandoned by their parents, with little to no chance at being adopted.

Mother’s Day with Mercedes was enjoyable and relaxing. We woke up early and headed for the beach for some time alone with the Lord. It is so refreshing to be able to sit in the midst of one of the crowns of His creation. For me, there is no greater pleasure than listening to the sound of the water, feeling the fresh breeze, and basking in the Glory of my God. We took our leisurely time to find a place to eat some breakfast and spend the rest of the morning walking the beaches and swimming. It was overcast, so there was no danger of getting sunburned. We returned to the hotel to shower and catch a nap before leaving to get some fish for lunch and then head for the bus back to Guayaquil. I made it home in time to have supper with the roommates (Sharon and Tabitha), and hang out with my pals. SIGH. I love the Sabbath.
I think I mentioned recently that my head was itching, and everyone thought I was allergic to my shampoo…nope! Turns out I contracted head lice! I am pretty sure it was due to the fact that when I was cutting all the kids hair at the orphanage, one of the girls was combing my hair with the comb she used on all the others. Mom, if you are reading this, please don’t turn me away when I come home, I promise I have treated it several times…just to be safe!

On Monday morning I traveled back to Cuenca. This time, since Seth and Tabitha (OM friends) were heading to Saraguro, so we traveled together. We saw my admirer at the bus station, but managed to avoid any soap opera drama, thanks to the newspaper I kept in front of my face!

The rest of my week was filled with phone calls, emails, skype sessions, meetings, and the like. I have been much more encouraged this week, and have allowed myself to rest in the normal tasks people do every day, such as exercise, clean the house, cook, play music, enjoy people. It is funny how relaxing and de-stressing it can be to have to do the dishes. I mean, it is kind of pain, but it is an easy, mindless chore, that allows me to sing, reflect, pray, or just BE, without feeling pressured. I am beginning to give and gain trust, in order to form some deeper relationships, which seems to have been more difficult here in Cuenca. I drove a classic, orange VW beetle the other day. It was my first time to drive in Ecuador, and, of course, everyone was shocked that I could drive a manual…or that I could even drive! There are many people here (especially women) who just don’t ever get their driver’s license.
There are a few solid leaders rising up who have been connecting with other churches to get more people involved with the vision of Cristo Vive. Saturday I had my last group meeting until I return in August. I made a giant chocolate cake because one of the guys here was complaining that the oatmeal/banana cake is for Grandmas. I think he ate half of it, and I keep telling him he had better not be coming to the meetings just because of the food! They are finally taking the initiative and responsibility for Cristo Vive Cuenca upon themselves. We have adjusted the calendar and there is now a day camp planned for July 10 (please PRAY for them!!!!).
I am working out the details for the August team from the US (anyone interested???), and there are three people interested in coming down for longer short-term volunteer opportunities. Craziness. I have only about two weeks to wrap things up here, then I will head home for a couple months! I am really excited to come back and see everyone. Getting used to being so far away from my family and friends has been more difficult than I had planned on.

This last weekend, my friend Lorena asked me to sing a mother’s day song with her, and to help lead worship at the daughter church here. Singing Spanish music and reading the Bible in Spanish has really helped my language skills. I am starting to think in Spanish instead of having to translate in my head before I can figure out what someone said or what I want to communicate. Sermons are coming easier too, which is encouraging, because, I need as much of the Word as I can get.

Ok, now for the real news! The inevitable has happened, and I have to tell you all about it. Just a few weeks ago I was saying how I was sick if Ecuadorian guys, and then, though I never thought it would happen, I fell hard for one! He is dark and handsome, small, and a bit hairy (very typical Ecuadorian). He is needy, but makes me laugh. He keeps me company when I am lonely. He is very intelligent and has learned he had better take me seriously. I am torn up about leaving him here for two months. He has a lot of energy, is very social, and likes to run with me…on a leash! His name is Incendio (which means “fire”), because he was rescued from a burning building. He is a little orphaned pup, some kind of mixture of German Shephard. Some girls from the church adopted him, but live in a small apartment and were gone most of the time. My friends brought him here, and it was all over! I wish I could bring him to the states, but he doesn’t have a passport. He technically lives with the pastor here, but Freddy’s never home and has no clue how to deal with a puppy. So, I had compassion for him and have been bathing him, feeding him, training him – I even cut his hair, because it was all matted and gross. (I know, I know, he’s just a dog! As I said, I fell hard!) He has been a blessing, since I spend a lot of time at the house by myself. (Sorry I keep toying with you...and if I raised anyone’s hope that I was involved in a real romantic attachment!)

Proverbs 16:3 “Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established.”

No comments:

Post a Comment